Last week Facebook announced a new App Center where developers can submit applications they've built. Like any API owner, Facebook is looking for high quality applications to list in its directory and has published a list of App Center Best Practices:
- Websites must provide a personalized experience - All websites and mobile web apps need to immediately present authenticated users with a logged-in experience. Specifically, we’re looking for personalization, such as name and profile picture, so users know that their Facebook information is being used to create an account.
- Review your app settings - App detail pages are dynamic based on the integrations you’ve specified on the basic settings page of the Developer App. Be sure to review this and remove any old or non-functional integrations.
- Provide high-quality images - Your images should match the quality of your app. As specified in the guidelines, images shouldn’t have buttons, excessive text, borders, dropshadows, URLs, promotions, pricing, or third-party logos.
- Input accurate names & thoughtful descriptions - Don’t add any additional keywords to the name of your app. Proofread your app description for spelling and grammar and remove unnecessary symbols, like stars, hearts and multiple exclamation points.
Some food for thought. Every app center will be different and have different requirements. I think I will add App Center Best Practices as a building block, after I look at a wide selection of other API app showcases, and identify some common best practices.
|App Center, Best Practices, Facebook|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space