It was interesting to see Amazon step up in the advertising game with the beta release of the Amazon Mobile Ads API this week. I wouldn’t want Amazon getting into my space, when it comes to any API resource, especially advertising. On the other hand, one can say that the space needs disruption with the dominance of Google with their multiple offerings:
I think we can expect some intense competition when it comes to advertising and specifically around mobile advertising APIs--battling for your eyeballs on smart phones and tablets in 2013.
Another layer that will add to the competititiveness with advertising APIs is the fact that all three social media and networking giants have their own advertising APIs now as well:
With Google and Amazon both having devices in the game (Android and Kindle), it will be interesting how they partner with Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin for the social layer, and where all of this leaves Apple.
Let’s not forget about the me too category with Bing Advertising APIs and Yahoo Advertising Central, or the potentially over 100 other advertising APIs available via ProgrammableWeb.
Any way you look at it, 2013 will prove to be a very competitive landscape when it comes to web and mobile advertising, with so many heavyweight contenders with their own devices and API driven advertising platforms. I think an advertising API roundup is in order, in the near future.
I just hope that we start thinking beyond advertising when it comes to APIs and the monetization of web and mobile apps in 2013.
|Facebook Advertising API, Google Advertising API, LinkedIn Advertising API, Twitter Advertising API|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- Dropbox As Your Apps Default File System
- DataSift's Open Source World
- Salesforce Adds Sandbox Templates
- An Open Source Code Catalog for your API
- Multi-Tenancy with WSO2 API Manager
- Ember, Angular, Backbone, Single Page Applications and APIs
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends