Google is migrating samples and tools for App Engine, BigQuery, Compute Engine, Cloud SQL, and Cloud Storage to a new Github account, they are calling the Google Cloud Platform.
Google is going all in with its use of Github, something I'm encouraging API owners to do. They are working to manage all of their essential API tools there like their start projects, which show developers how to get started with Google APIs as well as other helper tools like the OAuth 2.0 Helper, that helps developers be successful.
Github provides a lot of benefit beyond the obvious aspect of open sourcing your code. Google is actively engaging with developers using Github alongside all of these open source projects. If you think about it, this offers a more compelling way to engage with API developers beyond forums. On forums you end up with a lot of general, sometimes senseless questions--Github anchors questions or issues and pull requests around actual code libraries, SDKs, starter kits and other integration areas.
Github provides potentially more meaningful actions to occur between you and your developer community, beyond making code more accessible and openly licensed. It is good to see Google going this route.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- Dropbox As Your Apps Default File System
- DataSift's Open Source World
- Salesforce Adds Sandbox Templates
- An Open Source Code Catalog for your API
- Multi-Tenancy with WSO2 API Manager
- Ember, Angular, Backbone, Single Page Applications and APIs
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends