I stumbled across the Google Civic Information API today, which allows developers to build applications around civic information including polling place, early vote location, candidate data, and election official information. As soon as I landed on the home page, I scanned the left hand navigation, and noticed the option for "embeddable tool".
As you know embeddable tools are are something I advocate all API owners should consider when assembling the building blocks of your API. I like Google's approach to the Google Voter Information Tool, which lets users look up their polling place, early vote sites, ballot, and election official information for the US 2012 General Election.
To support the embeddable tool, Google provides a quick overview, with instructions for "quick embed" and more granular options allowing anyone to configure region, address, local and other advanced settings.
Even though the 2012 election is over, I think Google's approach to providing embeddable tools with their APIs is potentially something that other API owners can follow, which will make your API accessible beyond just the developer community.
|API Evangelist, Embeddable, Google|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- My First Keynote With The Infamous Audrey Watters
- Are You Going To Be At API Days in San Francisco? I Am!
- Updated API History White Paper
- History of APIs - Twilio
- API Providers Guide - API Design
- Box Opens Up Revenue Sharing For API Developers
- History of APIs - Mashery
- A Book API Platform
- History of APIs - del.icio.us
- API Management Using Github
- In The End API Providers Will Only Sell Bandwidth
- The Build-Up To #APIStrat in October
- APIdays Mediterranea Is A Wrap
- Helping EFF Urge The Courts to Block Copyright Claims in Oracle v. Google API Fight
- API Aggregation For Federal Government with FedAPI
- Have You Checked Out Webshell Lately?
- New Features From BaaS Provider AnyPresence
- Signals I Use To Monitor Companies In The API Space
- API Management Using APiphany
- Github Can Be More Than Code
- Quick Demonstration Showing The Benefits of The White House Digital Strategy
- IRS Needs To Use White House Open Data Policy For Guidance
- Dropbox As Your Apps Default File System
- DataSift's Open Source World
- Salesforce Adds Sandbox Templates