Storytelling in the API industry is critical to the healthy growth of the space. John Musser and ProgrammableWeb have been telling great stories in the tech industry, since way before APIs were all lthe rage they are now.
While I was at API Days this year, I was speaking with Mike Amundsen (@mamund) of Layer7, and we started talking about how Amazon, Netflix (and I’d add Twilio) tend to dominate the API discussion. I considered my talks from API Days, and sure enough--Netflix and Amazon were in there multiple times!
There are other stories we tell around Twitter, Facebook Google and other smaller APIs, but Amazon, Netflix and Twilio were cornerstones of API folklore in 2012. While I will keep telling these pillar stories (because they matter), as well as evolving other pioneers from my history of APIs section, I want to develop a fresh lineup of amazing API stories for 2013.
Stories like Johnson Control's, Panoptix API, and how a 125 year old company can change their culture and embrace a new way of doing business via APIs.
I will make sure there is easy access to the classic Amazon, Netflix and Twilio API stories. I will also be adding new versions of some other classic stories from Salesforce, eBay, Flickr and other API pioneers. But in 2013 I will be working to find a new set of API stories from brands and companies we know.
If you have an API success story you’d like to share, please let me know.
|Amazon, API Evangelist, Johnson Controls, Netflix, Panoptix, stories, Twilio|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- Connect With Linguistics API Apicultur While They Are In San Francisco
- My First Keynote With The Infamous Audrey Watters
- Are You Going To Be At API Days in San Francisco? I Am!
- Updated API History White Paper
- History of APIs - Twilio
- API Providers Guide - API Design
- Box Opens Up Revenue Sharing For API Developers
- History of APIs - Mashery
- A Book API Platform
- History of APIs - del.icio.us
- API Management Using Github
- In The End API Providers Will Only Sell Bandwidth
- The Build-Up To #APIStrat in October
- APIdays Mediterranea Is A Wrap
- Helping EFF Urge The Courts to Block Copyright Claims in Oracle v. Google API Fight
- API Aggregation For Federal Government with FedAPI
- Have You Checked Out Webshell Lately?
- New Features From BaaS Provider AnyPresence
- Signals I Use To Monitor Companies In The API Space
- API Management Using APiphany
- Github Can Be More Than Code
- Quick Demonstration Showing The Benefits of The White House Digital Strategy
- IRS Needs To Use White House Open Data Policy For Guidance
- Dropbox As Your Apps Default File System
- DataSift's Open Source World