I’m working hard to understand the emerging patterns of of how APIs used, work through the details, and grasp the differences in competing approaches--in hopes of identifying what is next when it comes to web APIs.
One trend I’m tracking on is the emergence of API scripting platforms. This is a difficult are to track on, because we script against APIs all the time, right? This is different. Scripting platforms are providing platforms and libraries to support easily scripting against multiple APIs.
To help me understand this new approach to using APIs I’m studying three separate approaches:
- Webshell - Authentication, integration and scripting platform.
- Temboo - Beyond code snippets, into ready-to-use processes, that simply API integration, taking care of authentication, credential management, updates and more
All three of these platforms are bringing together valuable API resources, from multiple sources into not just a common interface, but providing a language library you can use to build apps efficiently across multiple API resources.
Google Apps Script provides access to Google APIs and services, but recently opened up scripts to acts as connectors, that can be developed by 3rd party providers. Temboo has over 100 APIs in its library, while Webshell is just getting going with less than 25.
I see what Webshell, Temboo and Google are doing as similar to the aggregation, integration and some times automation we are seeing in other trending API areas, but these approaches are actually building languages that allow you to be more expressive with not just single APIs, but fluently with many APIs at once.
This area is new and emerging, and I’m still working to understand the different approaches. let me know if you if you have anything I should be looking at or other thoughts.
More to come...
|Google Apps Script, Scripting-Platform, Temboo, Webshell|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space