I’m updating the login and authentication for my content management system, APIs and other tools to provide authentication using Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Github by default. I’m using Singly as an authentication provider, because their aggregation of API authentication, endpoints and objects across these providers is easy and most efficient way I know to get this accomplished.
In addition to it being easy, I’m using Singly for another advantage. Each service Singly provides has a discovery endpoint, which provides me with metadata and the other endpoints each service provides. I want to use this meta data to derive a quick snapshot ranking of my authenticating user.
For example, when a user authenticates via Github Using Singly, I get the following meta data and endpoints:
Singly gives me 6 endpoints with data from the user’s activity in these areas. I’m looking to create an algorithm that will provide me with some quick ranking score based upon the number of repositories, followers and following a user has.
Right now I'm just going to add these up, take average across all my users that have logged in via Github. I’m sure I will evolve the design of the algorithm as I progress, but it should work for now.
My goal is to provide a little more insight into what type of user is signing up for my service, API or otherwise and possibly take different courses of action based upon their overall activity levels on Github. I mean, if they are Github superstar I want to know it, and also know if they aren’t very active at all.
|Authentication, Facebook, GitHub, LinkedIn, Login, Twitter|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space