Embeddable tools like widgets, gadgets and buttons built on top of an API are nothing new. A healthy embeddable strategy was behind the success of popular platforms like Youtube, Google Maps, Twitter and Facebook.
Even with this success, embeddable tools often get overlooked by many companies when planning their APIs. I was recently introduced to BandPage, formerly known as RootMusic, who made a name for themselves by building a successful band promotion application within the Facebook ecosystem, and have crafted a very interesting embeddable strategy. To recover from a recent Facebook platform change, BandPage employed a robust embeddable strategy to quickly decouple their business from Facebook, enabling bands to not only deploy on Facebook, but manage music, photos, tour dates across the web.
I think a healthy embeddable strategy is something every API owner should craft. The right set of embeddable tools can extend your reach beyond the average developer community, while also allowing your data and resources to exist on any site or platform. And in the case of BandPage it can also free you from having your wagon hitched to any single platform like Facebook, and open up much wider opportunities for success.
|BandPage, Embeddable, Facebook, Gadgets, Widgets|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space