I have a workflow for dealing with the steady stream of ideas that fly out of my arse on a daily basis. First, I write them all down in Evernote. If an idea sticks with me and keeps nagging on me in the back of my mind, I usually give it a place on the internal wiki that I use for managing my world. Then if an idea sits on the wiki for over a year and I haven’t finished building it, and successfully deployed or integrated into my platform--I set it free.
The one year expiration date has come for one of my ideas, and I want to publish here so maybe someone else will run with it.
- Project Idea: RESTGit
- Summary: A RESTful interface for any public or private Github repository.
I just want a quick way of throwing up a RESTful front, with or without authentication using 3Scale API management. RESTGit would deploy any flavor of language I choose: PHP, Python, Ruby, Java or anything else.
This way I could take select code resources I possess, commit them to a Github repository--then point RESTGit at the repository, and it would generate a REST framework and allow me to customize and adjust as needed.
RESTGit would be open source of course. It could be deployed as an Amazon EC2 instance, letting me rapidly deliver APIs for any resources I posses and scale as needed using AWS.
I wish I had more time to invest in my side projects, but I’d rather see it implemented. Hopefully one of you readers will find the time to develop RESTGit and open source it for everyone to use.
|API Evangelist, GitHub|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- My First Keynote With The Infamous Audrey Watters
- Are You Going To Be At API Days in San Francisco? I Am!
- Updated API History White Paper
- History of APIs - Twilio
- API Providers Guide - API Design
- Box Opens Up Revenue Sharing For API Developers
- History of APIs - Mashery
- A Book API Platform
- History of APIs - del.icio.us
- API Management Using Github
- In The End API Providers Will Only Sell Bandwidth
- The Build-Up To #APIStrat in October
- APIdays Mediterranea Is A Wrap
- Helping EFF Urge The Courts to Block Copyright Claims in Oracle v. Google API Fight
- API Aggregation For Federal Government with FedAPI
- Have You Checked Out Webshell Lately?
- New Features From BaaS Provider AnyPresence
- Signals I Use To Monitor Companies In The API Space
- API Management Using APiphany
- Github Can Be More Than Code
- Quick Demonstration Showing The Benefits of The White House Digital Strategy
- IRS Needs To Use White House Open Data Policy For Guidance
- Dropbox As Your Apps Default File System
- DataSift's Open Source World
- Salesforce Adds Sandbox Templates