There are a lot of high value APIs emerging these days, APIs with access to essential business data, resources and intelligence.
When designing your API you want to make the interface as intuitive as possible, and ensure as wide as access to it as you possibly can. To quote Jonathan Schwartz, Sun CEO regarding Java APIs:
"We wanted to build the biggest tent and invite as many people as possible,” Schwartz said. “You have open APIs and compete on implementations."
To do this, I encourage building tools and widgets that non-developers can use when working with your API. A great example of this is at Google, with their Google Analytics Dashboard Library. Google wanted to make it easier for users to deploy a dashboard that was tailored specifically for their business, so using a team of University of California Irvine students, they set out to simplify it down to 3 steps:
- Register with Google APIs Console.
- Configure this code to query your data and choose a chart type to visualize it.
LinkedIn also has some great examples of taking concept this to the next level with their “plugin” builders which essentially generates the widgets for users, using the API. Since Google is going to keep working with the Google Analytics Dashboard Library over the next 3 quarters, so I’m sure you’ll see their library evolve as well.
I’ll keep exploring other great examples of API embeddable strategies that can potentially bring in a much wider audience, opening up your API for access beyond developers, potentially bringing in other more business oriented groups.
|Analytics, API Evangelist, Building Blocks, Embeddable, Google, Site Metrics, Widgets|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- My First Keynote With The Infamous Audrey Watters
- Are You Going To Be At API Days in San Francisco? I Am!
- Updated API History White Paper
- History of APIs - Twilio
- API Providers Guide - API Design
- Box Opens Up Revenue Sharing For API Developers
- History of APIs - Mashery
- A Book API Platform
- History of APIs - del.icio.us
- API Management Using Github
- In The End API Providers Will Only Sell Bandwidth
- The Build-Up To #APIStrat in October
- APIdays Mediterranea Is A Wrap
- Helping EFF Urge The Courts to Block Copyright Claims in Oracle v. Google API Fight
- API Aggregation For Federal Government with FedAPI
- Have You Checked Out Webshell Lately?
- New Features From BaaS Provider AnyPresence
- Signals I Use To Monitor Companies In The API Space
- API Management Using APiphany
- Github Can Be More Than Code
- Quick Demonstration Showing The Benefits of The White House Digital Strategy
- IRS Needs To Use White House Open Data Policy For Guidance
- Dropbox As Your Apps Default File System
- DataSift's Open Source World
- Salesforce Adds Sandbox Templates