With all the attention sexism in silicon valley has gotten, I wanted to make sure and showcase some positive news on the Hackathon front this week.
There was a great article in the Oregonian out of Portland called, "Intel 'Code for Good' hackathon helps nonprofits solve technology challenges".
The theme for the hackathon: Girls in education
Code for Good co-organizer Josh Bancroft worked with co-organizer Renee Kuriyan and employees in Intel's corporate affairs group to help four nonprofit organizations, World Pulse, a Portland-based nonprofit; Room to Read; 10X10: Educate Girls Change the World; and Global Campaign for Education.
"I felt like we could amplify the impact" by software and corporate working together, Bancroft said. The partnerships were already established by corporate affairs, and the software group simply brought the technical expertise.
Their task was to create software solutions to real-world problems facing girls in education, and for each team to develop an app by the end of the day that the nonprofits could then put to use. The hackathon theme is part of Intel's "She Will" campaign and with the company's overarching mission to "create and extend computing technology to connect and enrich the lives of every person on Earth."
You can read more about the great hackathon over at Oregon Live. I just wanted to point out that not all hackathons are male dominated, and the model can go much further than some of what we see coming out of Silicon Valley.
|API Evangelist, Code for Good, Girls, Hackathons, Intel, Nonprofit, Room to Read, Women|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- Connect With Linguistics API Apicultur While They Are In San Francisco
- My First Keynote With The Infamous Audrey Watters
- Are You Going To Be At API Days in San Francisco? I Am!
- Updated API History White Paper
- History of APIs - Twilio
- API Providers Guide - API Design
- Box Opens Up Revenue Sharing For API Developers
- History of APIs - Mashery
- A Book API Platform
- History of APIs - del.icio.us
- API Management Using Github
- In The End API Providers Will Only Sell Bandwidth
- The Build-Up To #APIStrat in October
- APIdays Mediterranea Is A Wrap
- Helping EFF Urge The Courts to Block Copyright Claims in Oracle v. Google API Fight
- API Aggregation For Federal Government with FedAPI
- Have You Checked Out Webshell Lately?
- New Features From BaaS Provider AnyPresence
- Signals I Use To Monitor Companies In The API Space
- API Management Using APiphany
- Github Can Be More Than Code
- Quick Demonstration Showing The Benefits of The White House Digital Strategy
- IRS Needs To Use White House Open Data Policy For Guidance
- Dropbox As Your Apps Default File System
- DataSift's Open Source World