Last week I covered Centralized Geo Data with New InfoChimps API, and talked about how I felt it was a Look at the Future of Data. After writing I started thinking about other data that is ready for the same type of treatment that InfoChimps is giving geo data.
I was reading Audrey’s post today on O’Reilly today called, A new look for weather data, where she talks with WeatherSpark co-founder Jacob Norda about his company's approach to weather data and visualizations.
Norda talks about where the problems with traditional weather information are, how WeatherSpark gets its data, and how weather data can be improved overall.
It seems weather data suffers from all the same problems as geo data, such as multiple sources, varying schemas, huge datasets that are not easy linked with other sets of data. Weather data has huge legacy system usage as well as massive growth in generation and consumption with the introduction of sensors and mobile devices.
Norda concludes the interview by saying, “We're considering offering a unified API, but it's in the pre-roadmap stage at this point.” Seems like a common theme with data and APIs, lately.
What other areas of data are reaching this point, where developers could benefit from a unified API?
|Aggregate, Data, Datasets, Internet-of-Things, Schemas, Sensor, Sensors, Unified APIs, Weather|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space